Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Annabella's GAOC: Girl Thrown From Bridge

Article: "Murder charge: girl 'thrown' from West Gate Bridge"

Source: "The Age," Max Cooper, January 29, 2009, http://www.theage.com.au/national/murder-charge-girl-thrown-from-west-gate-bridge-20090129-7sb7.html

Area of Concern: Australia and Pacific Region

Partner/Core: Natalie Merlo, Core Y

I can clearly remember what I was like as a four year old. I was a very happy kid, and was never worried about anything. I would never, in my wildest dreams, consider the possibility of getting thrown off a fifty-eight-meter high bridge. Sadly, this nightmare was a reality for a young girl living in Australia.

            On Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 1:15pm (Australian time), a four-year old girl died while resting in her hospital bed in the Royal Childrens’ hospital. While most people go to the hospital because they’re sick, she was being hospitalized because she was thrown off a bridge. At about 9:10am, a thirty-six year old man was driving across the West Gate freeway bridge, pulled over to where a small child was standing, and plummeted her into the freezing water below. People reported that “it took place so quickly, no-one had the opportunity to intervene.” No one could stop this tragic event from happening. The girl was then rescued from the river at about 9:15 in the morning. She was found in the water on the northern side of the bridge, on a western bank. After she was found, the paramedics spent about fifty minutes resuscitating her before she had to be taken to the hospital by helicopter. 

            The man who is guilty of the murder will go to the Melbourne Magistrates Court for a “single count of murder.”

            The father of the young girl seemed very traumatized by this unfortunate event. He was seen outside of a courthouse an hour after the murder, and appeared to be shaking uncontrollably. It has been reported that he looked like he was about to have an anxiety attack.            

            When I came across this article, I was completely shocked. I hoped that by doing my GAOC on it, I can educate everyone about it. I hope that everyone reading this will now be very cautious about their safety. As the famous saying goes, “better safe than sorry.” I give my best wishes to this girls’ family, as well as everyone else that may have been affected by this very unfortunate event.



No comments: